Dates & Prices
Not only will you experience life in rural Malawi and get to support some of our rewarding volunteer projects, but it will all culminate with the race of a lifetime, as you take part in the Malawi Marathon to raise funds for the projects you have been part of during the week.
This is an exceptional trail race, winding through the rural villages that we support and along the banks of the world’s most stunning lake, Lake Malawi, otherwise known as the Lake of Stars.
- Participate in an unrivalled charity event
- See your every effort making a direct and long-lasting impact to the community
- Meet like-minded people and run alongside them in this epic event
- Camp on the shores of the stunning Lake Malawi
- Enjoy beach BBQs, fun activities and a runners’ finale party!
We have teamed up with Impact Marathon Series (IMS), a social enterprise whose aim is to harness the power of running to help support sustainable community projects around the world and ultimately leave a positive and long-lasting impact.
You will not only leave Malawi having completed the definitive long-distance running event, but you will also see first-hand the impact of your time, fundraising and exertions by visiting and getting involved with the projects you are supporting.
There is plenty of opportunity to continue your adventure both within Malawi or by travelling on to explore other parts of Africa. Extra trips can be easily organised to some of the highlights of the area including:
- Liwonde National Park with its abundant wildlife and large herds of elephants. Here you can enjoy the combination of vehicle safaris, walking safaris and boat safaris. Look out for the numerous hippo in the rivers!
- Cape Maclear is a popular tourist village at the edge of the lake. Snorkel, take a boat trip on Lake Malawi, explore the craft stalls and sunbathe on the beach. In the evening there are a couple of lively bars to relax in.
- Enjoy stunning views at Zomba Plateau where you can relax in the cool forest, trek and horse ride.
Day 1 – 20th May 2019
We will meet you on arrival at Lilongwe Airport in Malawi and you’ll be transferred by road to the Athlete’s Village! Once there you’ll have some time to settle in before a briefing and our opening night party – with live entertainment, music and dancing!
Experience first-hand the rewarding projects and welcoming people you’ll be supporting in the Warm Heart of Africa. This is your chance to really see the difference your fundraising will be helping to make.
Get involved and immerse yourself in the life of a volunteer! There’ll be a range of activities in which to get your hands dirty, so come prepared to muck in and help out where required. You will learn firsthand about our projects, the difference your money will make and the challenges facing the rural communities. Our aim is that all of our participants will end the week with a real understanding of how they have made a difference!
Time for some final volunteering tasks! The children from the local villages will be invited to participate and have fun and their boundless energy is infectious; it is the perfect build up for the big day!
Put your feet up, relax, rest those legs, the time has almost come. We’ll have some fun competitions and presentations during the day, but ultimately it’s time to chill and then it’s an early night before race day.
Day 6 – 25th May 2019
Get ready for the race of your life; a truly unique experience in a stunning location. Take it all in and enjoy running with participants from both the local community and those who have travelled from around the globe to run alongside you. Relish the day and look forward to a well-deserved party at the end of it all!
Forget about any aches and pains, as emotions will be running high, as you say your farewells this morning. You will be transferred back to Lilongwe for your onward flight, buzzing with stories to tell everyone back home, or alternatively commence further adventures, if you have booked one of our recommended tours to discover a bit more of this exciting region of Africa.
The experience is open to all abilities, but don’t take it lightly, as you will obviously need to have put in some proper preparation for a race like this. The focus is on the full marathon and we want as many people to complete this as possible, but just as rewarding and popular are the half marathon and 10km options.
A 10km race like no other! This is an accessible race that is also popular with our local Malawian runners. You’ll run through the villages you’ve been working in and along the shores of beautiful Lake Malawi.
A sandy, dusty trail race that is a challenging, but stunning, run through beautiful surrounds! Push yourself that little bit further to complete this personal challenge alongside your comrades.
The ultimate 42K race! Run the full distance and enjoy the amazing scenery along the shores of Lake Malawi. Enjoy the ‘Warm Heart’ of the most beautiful continent on earth driven by the satisfaction of knowing that you really are supporting the communities that you are running through with each step; both through your fundraising and work done during the week.
There are a few package options for participants, depending on personal requirements and preference. Options are as follows.
Prices per person / GBP £
|Bring your own kit
|Fish Eagle Camp
- 6 nights’ camping accommodation (Bring your own tent)
- All meals
- All in-country transport
- Race entry
- All organised activities and volunteering projects
- Finish line party!
- Kit hire available for additional £100
This includes everything above and…
- Spacious walk-in tent shared by four runners
- Mattress and bedding
Includes the above and…
- Dorm style bedroom for those who prefer not to be under canvas shared by four runners
- Bunkbeds and simple furnishings for that extra touch of comfort
Fish Eagle Camp
Our top end option, includes the above and…
- Twin bedroom, shared by two runners
- En-suite bathroom
- Beds, simple furnishings, mosquito nets, offering that extra touch of home comfort and privacy.