As we all well know, Coronavirus (COVID-19) is affecting all aspects of the world community at the moment, and particularly so, travel. Naturally Africa is monitoring developments with respect to coronavirus (COVID-19) and relying on advice from WHO (World Health Organisation) and all related national government advisories; both domestically and internationally.
The sad reality is that Coronavirus also poses a significant threat to our projects and future of our organisation. Volunteers are essential to the delivery of our programmes and the vital healthcare and education services that they provide to the local communities that we support. Without them, we are also unable to continue to employ the local staff, who work alongside the volunteers whilst they are with us, and to continue to fund our activities.
However, the health and wellbeing of our volunteers, staff and colleagues, is of course our highest priority and we wish all our friends, volunteers, colleagues and partners strength of mind and body during this difficult time.
Due to the recent escalation in the spread of coronavirus and travel advisories, we have introduced revised Terms & conditions for volunteer bookings to help offer some reassurance to volunteers. Due to the uncertainty about future developments, at this stage, we can only address programmes commencing between 16th March 2020 and 8th June 2020. However, these terms will continue to apply until otherwise amended, as the situation develops.
- We still highly recommend volunteers take out personal travel insurance and check directly their applicable T&C’s.
- If a volunteer is prevented from travelling, because of a “do not travel” ban from the government of their home country, then we will allow them to postpone their start date by up to 18 months.
- If a volunteer is prevented from travelling, due to a local travel ban or a mandatory 14 day quarantine on arrival for that volunteer, issued by the government of the destination country, then we will allow them to postpone their start date by up to 18 months.
- If a volunteer is displaying symptoms associated with Coronavirus we recommend that they do not travel and self-isolate, as most affected countries are now advising. Volunteers should contact their local health services under such circumstances to obtain a letter advising against travel for health reasons. Such cancellations may be covered by personal travel insurance and we recommend that volunteers check the T&C’s of their insurance policy. If a volunteer is prevented from travelling for this reason we will allow them to postpone their start date by up to 18 months.
- Our Payment Terms & Conditions remain the same and any monies received will be held in credit against a future date in case of a postponement.
- To facilitate a simple procedure, 2020 rates shall be applied to any booking moved to a 2021 date for the above reasons.
- In the event of 100% cancellation of a volunteer’s programme our standard cancellation terms will apply.
We hope that we will be through this challenging period soon and we can all support each other to do so.